Warcraft MoP: How To Tame Portent
Figuring out how to tame Porten reminded me of taming Ankha in Mount Hyjal. Originally, I’m flying around looking. Checked Wowhead.com and saw some of the comments saying you had to do some quests while others said they didn’t do any quests, both had tames. So I tried caming for 2 hours flying back and forth along the path and no Porten prints in sight. So I decided to run some of the quest line and that did the trick.
So here’s the skinny. Vale of Eternal Blossoms has two phases:
Phase 1 is beautiful, scenic and peaceful. Porten doesn’t show in this phase. You won’t find a track along his path.
Phase 2 is where Porten roams amongst a gazillion beasts and enemies.
Porten is a level 90 beast and spawns in 1 of four colors: blue, red, purple and green. My tame was the blue (my fav color actually so I’m extremely happy) and I found him walking East.
If you’re like me, a fresh 90 or are still seeing the Vale of Eternal Blossoms in it’s peaceful state, head over to the Temple of the White Tiger in Kun-Lai Summit. Run this until “The Vale” is gate is open to all. I ran it until i got to the daily quests just to be safe. You’re building rep in the Golden Lotus faction. It took me all of 45 minutes to get to this point.
Now, spotting tracks are easy. The difficult part is finding a safe tame zone. I fought countles packs of spiders and a rack of “Skoll” look-a-likes with lightning coming out of their faces before I got my tame, having to find Portent’s tracks 3 times. There are very few peaceful areas to tame. Here’s your taming guide:
1. Make sure you have the “Glyph of Tame Beast” as this reduces tame time by 4 seconds.
2. Grab yourself the map of his path.
3. Luckily you can spot Portent’s paw prints from a few feet in the air. I found flying the path extremely helpful. The two shots below are of me flying about treetop level and how the prints look.
4. When you spot a print, go in the opposite direction. Watch for the way the heal is pointing and go in that direction.
5. When you reach the end of the trail, you’re ahead of Portent which is where you want to be. Guestimate its next print and pop your flair. If you get a sense of the area your in, maybe guestimate a few more steps ahead and make sure that area is clear of beasts. In Phase 2 there are quite a lot.
My tame zone was 29,49. Not an ideal place, but hey I got em! Be sure to check out the Gaming section for other MoP taming guides and warcraft news.